How to Apply for a Job with the CPUC
Depending on the position, applying to the CPUC can be a two, three, or five-step process. Listed below are helpful resources that detail:
- Why there is a variation in the application process;
- How to find the process that is right for you; and
- A step-by-step explanation for completing each process.
Why Are There Three Application Processes?
The variation is caused by how the CPUC determines a candidate’s eligibility. For a majority of the CPUC’s positions, eligibility is determined by an employment eligibility examination. The exam is a central part of the three and five-step application processes.
In contrast, the two-step process does not require an eligibility exam. Instead, the two-step process requires applicants to submit a job application with some additional documentation. This additional documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- A Statement of Qualifications (SOQ);
- A professional license; or
- A resume.
Each job posting will provide greater details regarding the required documentation and how to properly complete/submit them.
What is the Difference Between the Three and Five-Step Application Process?
The variation is caused by the administration of the state eligibility exam. Depending on the position, the exam can be administered in one of three ways:
- Online via CalCareers (the State of California’s employment website);
- Online survey; or
In contrast to the CalCareers exam, the online survey and in-person exams require all candidates to submit a registration form prior to actually taking the exam. This additional requirement creates a five-step application process.
How Do I Know Which Process is Right For Me?
To find which process is right for you, please follow the steps listed below:
- Go to the Browse Jobs section of this website.
- Click on your desired job title.
- Scroll to the bottom of the job posting. Here you will find the application process required for your position of interest.
Where Can I Get Help With Completing the Process?
Listed below are helpful applicant resources that provide a step-by-step explanation of each process. To access a step-by-step explanation, simply click on one of the images listed below.
If you would prefer speaking to one of our HR representatives, please visit the Contact page.